Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crumbling front feet

Hello Gayle,

I highly recommend adding a hoof supplement that is flaxseed meal based. Omega Horseshine contains oats, which is why I generally do not recommend it. But, BioFlax20 is a good choice that can be safely added to his current diet without overlaps.

If at all possible, consider consulting with a farrier that promotes being barefooted. The hoof cannot flex properly with shoes and therefore, has a limited blood supply. The hoof becomes weak, splinter, and crumble, as well as become susceptible to infection and malformations.

So, go back to feeding flaxseed meal, but one that has hoof nutrients added -- BioFlax20. The high omega 3 fatty acid content is very helpful for healthy hoof tissue (as well as skin, hair, blood vessels, immune function, and hormonal regulation).

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Gayle A. Hamilton
Hi: I have a 1200 lb. Wurttemberger who has never had hoof problems. For the past 5 months, I have a terrible time keeping front shoes on him. The feet are white all around and rear feet look good. We put only front shoes on him and 12 weeks or so changed to clips with only slight better results. The only change in his diet of bermuda hay, pasture and Purina Sr. is I stopped a supplement of Omega Horseshine that he had been on for several years. Could it have made that much difference? He is out all night now and dew is very heavy. Up during the heat of day. He is 15 yo. He is in excellent health otherwise. Can you help?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO