Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mane and Tail Breakage

Dr. Getty,

I have a champagne Tennessee Walker mare, 10 years old, that had a beautiful mane and tail and over the last 6 months it has become very dry and brittle. It just breaks off. Her hooves,(she is barefoot) are chalky and brittle as well. Is there something that I should supplement her with that might help this problem? She is very active and healthy otherwise.

Thanks so much.

Where are you from? Arizona

How did you locate this forum? Article in Bridle and Bit

Re: Mane and Tail Breakage

Hello Amanda,

Thank you for writing and I appreciate your patience in my getting back to you.

I highly recommend adding flaxseed meal plus a hoof preparation to your horse's diet. So two scenarios:

First scenario -- If she is already getting a vitamin mineral supplement or the full recommended amount of a fortified feed: Add BioFlax20 for hooves. In addition, add Nutra Flax -- 2 scoops per day -- to provide additional omega 3 fatty acids for your mare's mane (and haircoat, in general).

Second scenario -- If your mare is not receiving a full complement of vitamins and minerals (either from a supplement or you're only feeding a smaller amount of a commercially fortified feed): Give her a flaxseed meal based supplement that also has hoof supplementation: Glanzen Complete. You would only need this product since is contains Nutra Flax and BioFlax20 in it, along with other essential nutrients.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Amanda Moore
Dr. Getty,

I have a champagne Tennessee Walker mare, 10 years old, that had a beautiful mane and tail and over the last 6 months it has become very dry and brittle. It just breaks off. Her hooves,(she is barefoot) are chalky and brittle as well. Is there something that I should supplement her with that might help this problem? She is very active and healthy otherwise.

Thanks so much.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO