Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: limping colt

Hi Judy,

I hope your colt is doing better -- thank you for your patience while my broken shoulder is healing.

The first thing I would recommend is to make certain that you are not feeding him anything starchy. That means no cereal grains -- oats, corn, barley, wheat, etc., or commercial feeds that contain these ingredients. Starch has been shown to induce osteopathic disorders in growing horses. Instead, make sure he has all the grass hay and/or pasture he wants, along with approximately 30% of his forage ration as alfalfa. If he is not getting pasture, he'll need a supplement to fill in the gaps, so he'll require a "carrier meal" to which you can add a supplement. Choose either a low starch feed, or one that is designed for growth that is low in starch such as ADM Alliance Junior Glo.

Regarding pain, go with a buteless pain reliever such as Stop the Pain on an as-needed basis.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

judy
Hi Dr Getty,I have another question about my colt,thanks for all the answers you have given me so fare. well my colt has been limping now for a couple of months,i had my local vet out and he did x-rays on his knees didnt really find anything,said maybe he is just growing to fast,so i waited a few weeks and thought maybe i would get a second opinion,so i took him to an equine hospital to a vet that came highly recomended,well this vet spent 3 1/2 hrs with my colt xrayed everything from the ground up and said everything looks fine,sooo i wanted to ask you if you could recomend a pain reliever for him that is ok to give as much as needed with out causing any other problems. thanks for your help.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO