Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
anemia

I have an aged gelding (vets say not enuf teeth left to estimate age)recently diagnosed as pre cushings & nutritional anemia - have started him on Balance EQ (which you had recommended to me for my old old now deceased gelding), 1 oz Red Cell, 2 # beet pulp, 1.5 # alfalfa cubes, 1/4 cup corn oil and grass hay which he gums enough to swallow (per day). How long should I continue giving him Red Cell, or do I have to have another blood test done?

Thanks!

Where are you from? Azted, NM

How did you locate this forum? nutrition newsletter

Re: anemia

Hi Becky,

I would keep him on Red Cell for 2 months and then have his blood retested. If he still needs iron, consider going with something more complete that provides a wide variety of nutrients (since he has some gaps in what you're feeding him). I recommend SuPer Antioxidant plus Nutra Flax.

If, however, his iron situation is remedied, go with Glanzen Complete (which already contains Nutra Flax). This does not contain iron.

I recommend Nutra Flax, instead of corn oil, because corn oil is high in omega 6 fatty acids, which increase inflammation. Inflammation is certainly not what you want, especially in a old horse whose joints may not be the best. Nutra Flax is high in omega 3 fatty acids, which will not only reduce inflammation, but will help his joints, immune function, and maintain a healthy hormonal balance.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Becky Turnbull
I have an aged gelding (vets say not enuf teeth left to estimate age)recently diagnosed as pre cushings & nutritional anemia - have started him on Balance EQ (which you had recommended to me for my old old now deceased gelding), 1 oz Red Cell, 2 # beet pulp, 1.5 # alfalfa cubes, 1/4 cup corn oil and grass hay which he gums enough to swallow (per day). How long should I continue giving him Red Cell, or do I have to have another blood test done?

Thanks!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty - thanks for responding - I did not mention I also give 3# of Mana Pro Senion a day - would that change anything? I did place an order today for Glanzen Complete - Thanks again.

Where are you from? Aztec NM

How did you locate this forum? nutrition newsletter

Greetings Becky,

If the Manna Pro product contains vitamins and minerals, it would overlap with the Glanzen Complete. If you'd like to send me the link to the product, I'll be happy to look at it for you.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Becky Turnbull
Dr. Getty - thanks for responding - I did not mention I also give 3# of Mana Pro Senion a day - would that change anything? I did place an order today for Glanzen Complete - Thanks again.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO