Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hay quality

Hi Holly,

Your vet is right -- a good quality hay plus a vitamin/mineral supplement. And I would add some flaxseed meal to keep her hormonal levels (in particular, insulin) in good balance. I fear that she is not actually gaining weight, but has a hay belly (which is not fat, but gas).

So, to answer your question.. go with the timothy/orchardgrass mix rather than an alfalfa mix, since she needs to have all the hay she wants -- free choice. That way, she can self-regulate her intake and eat what her body needs. Some alfala is a good idea, but she'll have too much if combined with her grass hay. So if you can offer her alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay as a separate meal, that would be best.

Regarding a supplement, I recommend Glanzen Complete because it is flaxseed meal based and offers her a all the vitamins and minerals she needs.

She may also require some Quiessence if she has a crestiness to her neck -- that is an indication of insulin resistance and the magnesium/chromium in Quiessence will reduce her circulating insulin levels, allowing her to avoid any related problems (in particular, the risk of laminitis).

I know you've been through a lot of changes and it's difficult to figure out the best course of action, while working with your barn manager. So, please consider setting up an appointment for a personal phone visit. That way, I can go over the big picture -- all the details of your mare's diet and environment -- to come up with a plan that will help her thrive as well as fit into your needs.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Holly
I have a horse that has struggled for years with diarrhea, gas, bloat and recently had a mild bout of impaction colic. Prior to the visit to the hospital for colic I treated her for Ulcers (2 months of GastroGard) and tried various stomach supplements including Ration Plus. Nothing worked completely. She would have a good month and then be right back where she was.
The vet at the hospital scoped and tested her and found nothing conclusive, but thought that both my horses had haybelly and cresty necks. So she asked that I have the hay tested. The results came back showing too low protein (5.6%), low Lysine and too high fiber. Since I am a boarder we tried the supplement route. Added flake of alfalfa and Triple Crown 30%. Seemed to help some but then the pasture (lives in 24/7) started to produce some grass and both my horses gained weight and became really agitated.

I immediately thought too much protein so have since cut out the alfalfa and halved the TC 30%. So they are currently living off the pasture and a little of the low quality hay for fiber as well as their vit/min supps. Too soon to tell if this change will help.

So now I realize that I just simply (or not so) need to buy better quality hay which leads me to the confusion. What would be a better choice....orchard/alfalfa mix or orchard/timothy?

They will get mainly pasture this summer with a vitamin and my young one gets Assure Probiotic. Then as the pasture subsides I want to get them on the right forage and am so confused as to what mix is best. vet stated a good hay with 10%plus protein and vit/min supplement.

Both are easy keepers....but my younger horse with the digestive issues appears fat when she really has a hay belly and bloat. In March she lost 25 pounds and finally have hips and flanks again when I first started supplementing the poor hay.

Am I even on the right track? It seems that everytime I think I have this solved....something goes awry.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO