Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quiessence and PSSM

Hi Vicki,

Yes, you heard correctly. With PSSM, there is increased insulin sensitivity, which is the opposite of the insulin resistant horse. Low starch is still key, but adding magnesium lowers circulating blood insulin levels which are already on the low side with PSSM. So, while magnesium is important it generally should not be supplemented. So, I do not normally recommend Quiessence for PSSM horses.

If at all possible, have your hay and/or pasture analysed to make sure your horse is getting enough magnesium. If the magnesium level is too low (less than 1/3 the calcium level), it could contribute to tying up (commonly seen with PSSM horses). Equi-analytical is a good place to send your hay sample: www.equi-analytical.com

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Vicki Tharp
My 10yr old Paint is heterozygous for PSSM. He is currently on the Triple Crown Safe Starch Forage, along with stabilized flax, chia, and Therecell probiotics.

In the July 17th teleconference you talked about Quiessence and how you liked it for horses that tied up. Later, I thought you then said you didn't like it for PSSM horses. Is this correct, or did I hear you wrong?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO