Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Supplement Question

Greetings Melissa,

I highly recommend either Glanzen Complete (high in antioxidants and B vitamins for hoof support) or PreOx (also made by Horsetech) -- similar to Glanzen Complete except it contains Grapeseed extract, and it isn't quite as high in the B vitamins because it is not designed for hoof support (though it does feed the hooves and every other part of the body). More Omega 3s would be supplied by Glanzen Complete since you feed more of it.

Both contain iodine, so sea salt should not be added. Plain, white, non-iodized salt should be offered instead to provide NaCl.

Electrolytes should never be added to a vitamin/mineral supplement simply because their dosage varies with the level of exercise and climate changes. They are designed to replace what is lost in sweat, assuming that the horse is in good sodium balance to begin with. I go into this in detail in my book, Feed Your Horse Like A Horse.

I do not like feeding diatomaceous earth because its long-term safety has not been determined. These exoskeletons could conceivably cause microscopic tears within the intestinal lining, just as they do within the parasite's tissue.

Thanks so much for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Melissa
Hi!

I am currently feeding The Natural Vet (Dr. Dan Moore) Success Pak. That includes feeding Oats, JAO (Just add oats), Weight Check and bug check. The first month she looked great on the product. Then I had hard time keeping weight on her. Also her hair curls up and at the end of the hair it is dull. Any suggestions?

I am looking into Glanzen products. What supplement of theirs do you recommend? I would like to have a supplement that has Vitamins, Minerals, Antioxidants, Omega 3,6,9. Electrolytes and Sea Salt.

How do you feel about having Diatomaceous Earth in their diets? What about Dr. Dan's bug check?

Thanks,

Melissa

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO