Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Diarrhea for a month and not sure why.

Hello Kim,

This is one of those times where I suggest a phone consultation, simply because there are so many routes to take when it comes to diagnosing and curing diarrhea. I would need to spend some time with you over the phone going over everything. So to best assist you, please consider this option.

In the meantime, be sure to put back the salt -- this is very important. There is very little sodium in grass or hay and your horse is in danger of becoming dehydrated and could colic.

There could be a fungus on the grass -- or perhaps it is too high in sugar (from drought and then rain, for example). So, give her a good quality grass hay -- all she wants -- never running out. The acid in her stomach needs to be neutralized by consistent chewing.

Platinum Performance makes a product called the BioSponge -- some folks have had success with it. But, before I recommend a specific product or supplement, it helps to know more.

I'm delighted to hear how well your mare is doing. Let's get new gal back on track.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim
Hi Dr. Getty!

I've not been here in awhile (and that's great, means no problems LOL)! Thanks to you, my mare with the IR is doing FANTASTIC on her Quiessence. She's got almost no cresty neck left and while she still has some fat pads on her shoulders, the rest of them are gone! She's been calm, cool and collected. My 9 y.o. daughter has been riding her in shows and at home It's amazing how she went from "OMG!!" to "ZZZZ". I've kept her at 3.5 oz but thinking of dropping back to the maintance dose soon.

My newest problem revolves around my newest horse. She is a 17 y.o. TWH. I've had her home since April...bought her in January. On July 6th, I noticed she had diarrhea all over her butt. This was the first time this has happened since I've known her in January. Long story short, we are on double dose probiotics, we've removed all grass as that seems to make it worse, and removed her salt block. I tested her manure for sand and found none. I wormed her on Monday with ivermectin and it's made no difference. I've experimented over the last 20 days and grass does seem to make it worse. Nothing else has made any difference. Why she was fine on grass from April to now is anybodys guess Prior to the start of the diarrhea, nothing had changed. I haven't even started 2010 hay yet!

Is there something I'm missing or should consider? My vet will probably want to do a fecal and/or blood work soon. Otherwise she's hungry, she's eating and drinking, she appears happy. I DO think she is starting to drop a little weight though.

Thanks in advance!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO