Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeding Horses Calf creep feed

Hi Aimee,

Calf feed is high in starch and is not intended for horses. I would need to look at the label to see if the vitmain and mineral content is balanced -- which it likely is not if it is intended for calves.

Strategy is a sweet feed, which I do not advocate. Do you put sugar on everything that you eat? (rhetorical question ) And it is very high in cereal grain.

Plain oats doesn't have all the added sugar, but should only be fed, in very moderate amounts, when a horse needs the extra fuel to do work. If your horse is in training on a daily basis, works daily on a farm, or is an athlete, then some oats would be acceptable. The majority of the diet, however, should be from forage (hay and/or pasture) all day long -- 24/7 -- as much as he wants.

However, horses that do not have this type of energy requirement, should be on good quality forage, a vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in gaps (for a hay-only diet) and if some extra calories are needed, choose a low starch feed. Too much starch, over time, leads to obesity and related health problems (insulin resistance, laminitis, etc.) or can cause ulcers, and colic.

Thank you for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Aimee
I have friends that feed their horses non-medicated calf creep feed. How does that differ from say Strategy? And is it a good grain substitute?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO