Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: simplify my feeding program

and another question is should i feed beet pulp shreds or pellets, or does it really matter, as well as the alfalfa cubes or pellets

Where are you from? ohio

How did you locate this forum? search

Hi Felicis,

I recommend you feed two pounds of each, since they've done well with this amount. You can always adjust the amounts as their exercise level increases or decreases.

Dr. Getty

Felicis
how much should i feed, and should i feed the same lbs of alfalfa and beet pulp such as 2 lbs alfalfa and 2 lbs beet pulp, i have fed both in the past and they did very good, but i was mixing it together to stretch my hay
thank you
felicia

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Felicis,

I prefer beet pulp shreds since they do not have to be soaked for very long (10 to 20 minutes if you use warm water, and no longer than an hour if you use cold water). The pellets are fine, but require longer soaking and the longer you soak, the more likely bacteria with multiply and could cause illness. Never soak overnight.

With alfalfa, the pellets soften easier, as well. Cubes have to broken into small pieces, which is labor intensive.

Dr. Getty

Felicis
and another question is should i feed beet pulp shreds or pellets, or does it really matter, as well as the alfalfa cubes or pellets

dr getty
here is what im feeding currently since we last talked weigh taped my horses (btw added one more over the weekend so now im feeding 3 YAY)all 3 are either
Rebel 5 year old quarter geld height 14.3 weight 1250
Sambuka 4 yr old quarter geld height 15.2 weight 1300

Gets
1/2 lb beet pulp
1/2 lb alfalfa cubes (both soaked)
2 Tablespoons magnesium
1 Tablespoon white salt
i will be adding 4 oz flaxseed ground and Thiamine soon to all 3 and possibly black oil sunflower seeds

4 yr old quar arab mare 14 hands 900lbs
1/4 lb beet pulp
1/4 lb alfalfa cubes
2 tablespoons magnesium
1 tablespoon white salt

all are on pasture 24/7 was seeded and fertilized 3 years ago with horse pasture mix they also have a salt lick like i said before they are very easy keepers
do you see anything that i could be missing or does it look pretty good and
when winter hits i will add to beet pulp and alfalfa as needed

Where are you from? ohio

How did you locate this forum? search

Hello Felicia,

There are nutritional gaps in this diet so a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement is worthwhile. I prefer one that is flaxseed meal based. Grinding your own flaxseeds can be done but they need to be on a daily basis, since they go rancid very quickly. You're feeding alfalfa -- which is good -- to provide calcium because flax is very high in phosphorus and must be balanced with calcium (hence the benefit of a commercial product).

Magnesium -- provive 5,000 mg per 250 lbs of body weight.

Salt -- two tablespoons per day, divided between meals, at a minimum along with either free choice granulated salt or a plain, white salt block.

Sunflower seeds -- add a lot of fat (and they are overweight). Plus the type of fat (omega 6s) increase inflammation. You're already adding flax, so I recommend removing the sunflower seeds.

These are some ideas. As the season progresses, and if you need help finetuning things, consider a phone visit. That way, I can spend an hour or more on the phone with you going over every detail -- history, diet, medical treatments (if applicable), environment, exercise, etc. to customize a feeding plan that will help your horses lose weight (safely) and reduce their risk of laminitis.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

felicia
dr getty
here is what im feeding currently since we last talked weigh taped my horses (btw added one more over the weekend so now im feeding 3 YAY)all 3 are either
Rebel 5 year old quarter geld height 14.3 weight 1250
Sambuka 4 yr old quarter geld height 15.2 weight 1300

Gets
1/2 lb beet pulp
1/2 lb alfalfa cubes (both soaked)
2 Tablespoons magnesium
1 Tablespoon white salt
i will be adding 4 oz flaxseed ground and Thiamine soon to all 3 and possibly black oil sunflower seeds

4 yr old quar arab mare 14 hands 900lbs
1/4 lb beet pulp
1/4 lb alfalfa cubes
2 tablespoons magnesium
1 tablespoon white salt

all are on pasture 24/7 was seeded and fertilized 3 years ago with horse pasture mix they also have a salt lick like i said before they are very easy keepers
do you see anything that i could be missing or does it look pretty good and
when winter hits i will add to beet pulp and alfalfa as needed