Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My horse had reactions to a dewormer and vaccine

Hello Teala,

Thank you for writing. Deworming, if done regularly, will generally not cause colic. If the worm infestation is allowed to increase dramatically through infrequent deworming, it is possible that excessive larvae destruction at one time could lead to colic. So I recommend that you discuss your deworming program with your veterinarian to determine the best course for your horse and his environment.

HYPP however, is another matter and you should make certain that the entire diet does not contain more than 1.5% potassium. Have your hay tested -- hay can be too high in potassium. Fresh pasture is safest. And check the analysis on any feeds or supplements that you're using.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Teala
Dr. Getty,

I purchased a 2.5 year old paint gelding back in March. When he was due I gave him a dewormer (Ivermectin)and he basically showed the signs of trying to colic. He wouldnt eat his hay or feed (which is not like him..lol) or drink. He just wanted to lay down. of course I gave him a dose of Banamine and he seems to be fine after an hour. When he was due to be wormed again, I used a diffrent wormer Anthelcide EQ and he had no reaction. Another reaction he had was after I vaccinated him. I used Fort Doge Innovator 6. He was fine the day of but the day after all 4 legs were so swollen. They stayed swollen for a whole week! He ate and drank fine though. Now I will add he is HYPP N/H. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I have him eating Seminole Ultra Dynamix and timothy or Tifton hay only. He is exercised regularly and is out to pasture all night and in during the day due to burning in the sun during the day. Anything you can tell me regarding the weird reactions to the deworming and vaccines. And any other advise regarding HYPP feeding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Teala

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO