Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeding Flax

Hi Lynn,

The 6 ounces I referred to is by weight not volume. So, 1/2 cup (volume) weighs 2 ounces (weight). I recommend 1/2 cup per 400 lbs of body weight. That translates into 1 1/2 cups for a 1200 lb horse (which weighs 6 ounces). Our system is confusing since we use the term ounces to describe fluid ounces and ounces by weight.

So, you're feeding 3/4 cup, twice daily, which is exactly 1 1/2 cups per day, which weighs 6 ounces. Exactly right!

Omega Horseshine is a flaxseed meal product that also contains oats -- so please keep that in mind if your horse needs to avoid too much starch. This is why I recommend Nutra Flax since it is pure flaxseed meal (with a very slight amount of calcium added to correct for the naturally inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio found in flax).

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify this "ounce" situation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lynn
I read your column in the August Today's Horse Trader. You mentioned on feeding flax not to feed more than 6 oz. per day. My gelding gets seasonal allergic reactions to his skin. I have been feeding him Horseshine which I am sure you know about. It is a stabilized ground flax seed meal which they recommend 1/2 - 1 cup two times a day. I feed 3/4 cup 2 times a day and 1/2 cup 2 times a day during the winter months. With the Horseshine and Spirulina tablets I have kept his allergies under control with occasional topical aloe cream on itchy spots for the past 3 years. I was concerned when I read your article about no more than 6 oz. of flax. I don't want to do any harm to my gelding.

Thanks,
Lynn

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO