Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weaning...late

Hi Jackie,

Generally a mare with wean her foal on her own but there are times when both mare and filly are getting a sense of security out of the process. So, it is highly unlikely that they will stop doing this on their own.

I recommend that you hire a competent trainer that is willing to come to your property, to slowly get your horses used to co-existing without your filly needing to nurse. This is a behavioral/training issue, so I'm not able to offer you specifics. But there are good trainers available that can be gentle and fit your needs.

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jackie Howard
Hello! I've never asked this question before of anyone: is it possible to "wean" a three year old? I've been scammed many times where my horses are concerned so I never bothered separating (by sending one of them away for a while) mare/filly when it was time to wean...I don't trust ANYONE I send my horses to for anything so I kept them at home. I tried separate stalls but became dangerous because baby almost got herself hooked up on the gate to the stall, nearly breaking her front legs, twice. Naturally, I gave up. Now at three (the mare is 12, first foal) she still "sucks" on the mare and she continues to let her, which is embarrassing with the neighbors looking...she hasn't had enough ground training yet, either...just doing the best that I can despite my health (diabetes) and the economy...there's more but this is enough for now. They look good though in spite of. Thanks!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO