Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chromium use for laminitis

Hello Leslie,

Since your goal is to reduce circulating insulin levels, chromium would be a worthwhile addition. You can either feed Quiessence (which has both magnesium and chromium), or you can add chromium by itself (I believe Platinum Performance supplements offer individual minerals).

Be sure to feed your hay free-choice. An empty stomach is very stressful to a horse, and can trigger a laminitis attack (because cortisol -- stress hormone -- causes elevated insulin. Elevated insulin = laminitis).

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Leslie
I have a 10 year old horse that is prone to laminitis. He is lean and athletic, without a cresty neck or adipose pockets. Since a recent sore footed episode one month ago, I have kept him off all grass and I am feeding 9% NSC hay and supplementing minerals based on hay analysis - no grain. I have started him on 20g of magnesium. Do I also need to add Chromium to his diet if he is laminitic but has no weight or fat issues?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO