Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NDF levels in hay

Greetings Billy,

As you correctly pointed out, the higher the NDF level, the more lignin (wood) is produced. This is an indigestible fiber and provides zero amount of food value for the horse. It is also very difficult to chew and impossible to digest. The problem with it, is that a horse will not thrive on a high NDF hay, and could develop impaction colic. Horses seem to instinctively know this and will often reject this hay.

An analogy to consider would be green beans. Ever have one that was stringy and tough? An "old" green bean will develop a lot of lignin and will not soften no matter how long it is cooked. You wouldn't eat this green bean simply because you couldn't chew it. The same is true for a old hay, meaning the maturity of the grass -- the more mature the grass when cut, the more lignin it will form.

I discuss this at length in my book in the chapter on forages.

Thanks for writing - excellent question!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Billy Blackman
Hello Dr. Getty,

I know that as NDF levels increase in hay, dry matter intake decreases. I was told that if NDF levels get too high, a horse won't even eat the hay. Why is this? Is it that the hay is more filling or does the horse realize that it is more wood/lignin like.

Thanks
Billy

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO