Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Iodine Supplements

Hi Donna,

Yes, blood work will help, but T4 levels often show as low with an insulin resistant horse (elevated insulin) even though there is no thyroid problem. Keep me posted on what your vet says and it may be worth it for us to visit personally over the phone. So, please consider making an appointment.

4 ppm in your feed translates into 4 mg of iodine per kg of feed. If, for example, you feed 2 lbs, that is equivalent to 0.91 kg (2 divided by 2.2). So, that feed would provide 3.64 mg of Iodine. That is a considerable amount and therefore, you should avoid adding iodine from any other source. Iodine in hay and pasture, even legumes, is very minimal and not enough to even list in the Nutrient Requirements for Horses manual.

So, keep me posted and let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Donna
Hi Dr. Getty,

Thank you so much for replying. My vet is scheduled for Monday to ultrasound and take a sample of the enlarged thyroid,and retest bloodwork is that what you would recommend? The Buckeye Gro'n Win has 4ppm Iodine (is that okay)? How do we know how much is in her hay/pasture? I just had an analysis done on the hay but I don't see Iodine listed? My new hay has alot more Alfalfa and I am trying to find some straight orchard grass hay to mix with it. Also you mentioned White Clover? I have ALOT of clover in my pasture and I am trying to get rid of it.....I also have a secondary problem (that is much more serious) but I didn't want to take up too much of your time but when this enlarged thyroid came up 30 days ago that is why I called the vet and he took blood and her insulin is really high so could these two things be connected? I will do ANYTHING for this mare............I have owned her since she was a baby..... Donna

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO