Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: giving my horse pure C

Hello Anita,

Thank you for writing and I'm sorry to hear about your horse's eye problem. To answer your question... yes, definitely keep him on vitamin C, for the remainder of his life. This would be necessary even if he didn't have an eye problem, since older horses no longer produce enough of this vitamin on their own. They get some from fresh pasture, if the pasture grass is healthy, but should have more, especially when there is an illness involved.

I would also be sure his entire diet is highly nutritious and high in antioxidants. Consider SuPer Antioxidant -- an excellent supplement that is comprehensive and will help counteract the stress he is enduring.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Anita M. Balik
Hi Dr. Getty,
I have a 25 year old Paint Gelding who had a terrible episode with UVitis in Febuary. He lost the sight in his left eye and has very little sight left in the right eye. I have boarded him at a stable for the last 14 years and decided to bring him home to care for him. I was reading on the internet about giving horses pure C for a calmimg effect. So I started him on 1 scoop a day about 2 weeks ago and it seems to help. He was very stressed with all the changes, trying to get used to everything in his new enviroment. The Vet said he also has cataracts and glaucoma. I am unable to afford the cost of the glaucoma medicine and was told to give him bute every day for the pain and inflamation.I didn't want to give him the regular bute so I purchased the Herbal Bute and I give him 1 scoop a day and also 1 scoop of Cosequin. Should I keep him on the Pure C?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,
Thank You for the information on Vitamin C. I really want to make sure that my horse is still able to enjoy his older years. He has given me alot of pleasure since I have owned him. It is so kind of you to offer such wonderful advice to all of us. I truly do appreciate it.

Thanks Again
Anita M. Balik

Where are you from? New Alexandria, Pa 15670

How did you locate this forum? a customer service rep from Vita Flex

Hello Anita,

It is my pleasure to help. Please keep me posted on how he is doing.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Anita M. Balik
Hi Dr. Getty,
Thank You for the information on Vitamin C. I really want to make sure that my horse is still able to enjoy his older years. He has given me alot of pleasure since I have owned him. It is so kind of you to offer such wonderful advice to all of us. I truly do appreciate it.

Thanks Again
Anita M. Balik

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO