Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: chubby ponies

PS - I think these two mares could use some Magnesium as well. Would Quiessence be good for them? Actually, the Haflinger gelding is very crusty at the neck and needs to lose weight as well)?

I think my guy, Summit might benefit too. However, as you know, Summit receives Glanzen Complete at the 6oz level. So do I need to get JUST a Magnesium supplement...like Premium Magnesium Oxide Powder (on your web site)for him (due to his possible Cushings and insulin resistance)? I saw that many folks were referring to a product Quiessence - but this has other stuff added.

:O)
Thanks

Where are you from? Upstate New York

How did you locate this forum? this web site/teleconference/Juliet's emails

Re: chubby ponies

Hi Jane,

You are right on target with the magnesium supplementation. I prefer Quiessence in this case, because it also contains chromium (another mineral involved in lowering circulating insulin levels). It does contain some B vitamins as well, which help with boosting metabolism.

Give your horses 1 scoop of Quiessence per 250 lbs of body weight until you see the crestiness in the neck subside. This can take several months. Then, keep them on a maintenance dose of 1 scoop per 500 lbs of body weight.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jane Ames
PS - I think these two mares could use some Magnesium as well. Would Quiessence be good for them? Actually, the Haflinger gelding is very crusty at the neck and needs to lose weight as well)?

I think my guy, Summit might benefit too. However, as you know, Summit receives Glanzen Complete at the 6oz level. So do I need to get JUST a Magnesium supplement...like Premium Magnesium Oxide Powder (on your web site)for him (due to his possible Cushings and insulin resistance)? I saw that many folks were referring to a product Quiessence - but this has other stuff added.

)
Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO