Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dried Distillers Grains & mineral imbalance

Hello Anthony,

The best way to help your horse gain weight would be to add fat rather than a high fiber feedstuff such as dried distiller's grain. Yes, DDG are high in phosphorus and you can correct for this ration by adding alfalfa to the diet (which is high in calcium). But, I do not believe you'll see the results you're after using this approach.

Fat can be added in a number of ways. The best way, is to add flaxseed meal to the diet. Not only is it high in fat, but the right kind of fat -- that being Omega 3 fatty acids -- which will have many health benefits. I recommend a commercial product that is stabilized and has some calcium added to correct for the naturally inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio. Take a look at Nutra Flax. Give him 1 scoop (which is 1/2 cup by volume) per 400 lbs of body weight.

In addition to Nutra Flax, pay attention to the hindgut bacteria by giving your horse a prebiotic such as Ration Plus. This will feed the existing microbes, making forage digestion more efficient -- the result is more calories from forage and hence, weight gain.

Be sure your horse is getting all the hay he wants -- that he never runs out. If he has an empty stomach, this can lead to ulcerations of the digestive tract, which are a main cause of weight loss.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Anthony Grounds
We have a Thoroughbred on native grass pasture that is too thin. We have started supplementing him with Dried Distillers Grain. I understand the calcium/phosphorus ratio can be a concern with DDG. Can I add something to it to make it a better feed?
How much should I feed him?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your help. I'm sure you must be short on time, so I appreciate the advice very much.

Anthony

Where are you from? Oklahoma panhandle

How did you locate this forum? my sister

Hello Anthony,

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Anthony Grounds
Thank you for your help. I'm sure you must be short on time, so I appreciate the advice very much.

Anthony

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO