Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeding Dilema

Hello Kim,

Thank you for your patience and I hope you have been able to come up with a feeding plan that works for all your horses. Let me know what you've come up with and I can give you my opinion.

Do you have access to Kent Feeds? They have their Dynasty brand that is low in sugar and starch. Triple Crown feeds also has a nice line of low sugar and starch feeds. Perhaps you can look into where the closest dealer might be by getting on their websites.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim
Hello Dr. Getty, Been awhile since I last spoke with you. I am about to be forced to change feed. Feed store will not carry mine anymore. I have been feeding Patriot 12% by adma alliance. I have gone with it because of the "forage first" concept. I am happy with how my horses look. Brands they offer for a change are martindale feed mill feeds, which I DO NOT like, 1st ingredient in most of them is CORN. one of them starts with dehydrated alfalfa meal 2nd ing. corn. or they carry purina and nutrena products. Nutrena I am not happy with. They wont disclose all there ingredients. Strategy was another they recommended, but i know nothing about it. HELP!!!!!! I have done alfalfa pellets and bran, but just need something easier. 3 horses, 20 something pasture pet, 9 yr old looks at food and gets fat pasture pet, and 7 yr old trail horse, someday barrel horse.They are on 24/7 turnout on coastal field and recieve coastal in the winter when field is gone. 7 yr old also gets 1 cup a day enrich 12 by purina. So any feed suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I know i ask the impossible, but we need a one feed fits all. Suppliments can be individual if even needed. Thanks again for your time. Kim

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Well, I ended up going with strategy. There really was not much of a choice. I will look into feeds you suggested, but I do not believe the feed stores around here carry either of those. My question now is, do they need any supplimentation with this feed? Also the horse I had on enrich 12 should he stay on it with this feed? Thanks again for all your great help. Kim

Hello Kim,

Since you're able to obtain Strategy (a Purina product) perhaps you can get Purina's Wellsolve L/S instead. This is a low starch feed whereas Strategy is a sweet feed and has more sugar and starch than feeding plain oats!

Enrich 12 is a vitamin/mineral supplement that can be fed to fill in nutritional gaps when the recommended amount of a commercially fortified feed is not being fed. But, keep in mind, that it, too, is high in sugar and starch.

If you need a vitamin/mineral supplement, go with something like Glanzen Complete -- which is flaxseed meal based for omega 3 fatty acids. and does not have any oats, or sugar added.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

kim
Well, I ended up going with strategy. There really was not much of a choice. I will look into feeds you suggested, but I do not believe the feed stores around here carry either of those. My question now is, do they need any supplimentation with this feed? Also the horse I had on enrich 12 should he stay on it with this feed? Thanks again for all your great help. Kim

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO