Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help, Im at my WITS end!

Hello Margie,

Ponies, and especially minis, are genetically predisposed to insulin resistance and will become very heavy when fed feeds that contain too much sugar and starch. Nutrena Safe Choice is not "safe" for these animals. Yes, it's lower in percent non-structural carbohydrates (NSC) than oats with approximatly 25% NSC (oats containing approx. 50% NSC) but that is still not low enough.

If you want to feed a commercial feed, you should choose one that has an %NSC less than 13% such as Purina Wellsolve L/S or Triple Crown Lite.

But frankly, since your ponies are overweight, they do not even need these feeds. They need to have all the grass hay they want -- test it first to make sure it isn't high in sugar and starch -- and a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps. I recommend Glanzen Lite Complete -- feed 1 scoop (1/2 cup by volume) per 500 lbs of body weight. You'll need some type of carrier to which you can add the supplement, so go with soaked timothy pellets or a small amount of alfalfa pellets, or even soaked beet pulp.

Your TB, however, has special needs and needs additional calories. You can offer her the same low starch commercial feeds, but a much easier route to go would be to give her alfalfa pellets (moistened), plus beet pulp (also moistened) plus a good supplement. In his case, go with Glanzen Complete (not the lite version) and give him 1 scoop per 400 lbs of body weight.

These are some guidelines to get you started. If you would like to have me evaluate your situation in more detail, please consider setting up a consultation appointment. That way I can customize a plan that works well within your constraints and helps your horses at the same time.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Margie Briar
I have two minature ponies, that are very easy keepers, they are getting a hand full of safe choice once a day with hay free choice and 24/7 pasture time that is it and they look huge too me, and act like they are starving? and everybody was telling me before i was over supplementing them when I was using your product. Now nobody likes safe choice, and Im worried there not getting what they need..and I also recently rescued a 6 year old thoroughbred
off the track and she was under weight and her feet look horrible and she is quiet in her pasture, but gets totally upset when I take her out of her well known area, the vet had me feeding her 1 scoop of safe choice and a 1 scoop of purinia ultium I feel she is getting way too much. I just took her off the safe choice and I'm now giving her 1 scoop of purinia ultium with soaked beet pulp and some soaked alfalfa cubes.. Is there any chance that I could put her and the ponies on the same diet? I was going to get flax seed for the thoroughbred mare.. I just don't know what the right thing too do is and what they should be getting, everybody is telling me something different, I want too know what is healthy for them both.. PLEASE HELP... THANKS

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO