Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Quiessence

Hi Dr. Getty - First I want to tell you I am in the middle of your book and I find it fascinating. Very well written. My question is about Quiessence. My pinto is overweight with a cresty neck. My vet suggested Quiessence which I have been using faithfully. At his weight I am giving 5 scoops a day and he has been on this regimen for approximately 8 weeks now. His cresty neck is finally going down, although he has not really lost any weight. What I have noticed though is that he is very lethargic on the trail. He will trot out or canter if I ask, but he can't keep going and I wonder if it is related to the Quiessence. And, should I cut down to the maintanence dose now. I am somewhat worried about a magnesium overdose. Thanks

Where are you from? Parker, Colorado

How did you locate this forum? I signed up for your monthly news letter

Re: Quiessence

Hello Jayne,

Thank you for your kind words and I'm delighted that you are finding my book helpful.

Five scoops of Quiessence may be too much. Magnesium levels should not exceed calcium's. And your hay/pasture contains some magnesium so unless you have had your hay analyzed, it is best to give a little less Quiessence to account for the level in his forage.

Too much magnesium, in relation to calcium, can cause muscle dysfunction. I suggest decreasing the dosage to 2 to 3 scoops per day, now that he is losing his cresty neck. Once it is completely down, give him 1 to 2 scoops per day, depending on his weight.

If possible, it is well worth the $26 that Equi-Analytical charges for a hay analysis. Here is their link and I recommend their Equi-Tech test: www.equi-analytical.com

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jayne Schwenger
Hi Dr. Getty - First I want to tell you I am in the middle of your book and I find it fascinating. Very well written. My question is about Quiessence. My pinto is overweight with a cresty neck. My vet suggested Quiessence which I have been using faithfully. At his weight I am giving 5 scoops a day and he has been on this regimen for approximately 8 weeks now. His cresty neck is finally going down, although he has not really lost any weight. What I have noticed though is that he is very lethargic on the trail. He will trot out or canter if I ask, but he can't keep going and I wonder if it is related to the Quiessence. And, should I cut down to the maintanence dose now. I am somewhat worried about a magnesium overdose. Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO