Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hind leg swelling

Hello Patty,

Since he doesn't appear to have an injury, I would first examine his salt and water intake. If it is stocking up, it is likely due to standing too much in one place, combined with inadequate water and salt consumption.

Give him table salt, free choice. In other words, purchase plain table salt from your grocery store and pour some in a bucket so he can dab his tongue to it as he pleases. Choose a non-iodized version if he is already getting iodine from another source; an iodized version if he is not receiving iodine supplementation from his feed or other supplement. Start by placing a small amount (about 1 tablespoon) in the bucket and let his natural curiosity take over -- I suggest a small amount because I've seen horses take a big bite of salt, and regret it! Once he knows that it is salt, you can add more and replenish it as it gets dirty.

Make certain that he has free, easy access to clean water, free of algae, bird droppings, and dead insects. And during the winter, it is preferable to heat the water so it is approximately 50 degrees F, to encourage enough drinking.

Try this and keep me posted. Also exercise is essential toward proper circulation -- so whatever you can do to allow him to walk more, would help a great deal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Patty Thomas
Hello,
My 5 year old gelding seems to stock (?) up quite often on one hind leg below the hock. He has done this on and off for the year that I have owned him. Sometimes he will have soreness with it, other times he does not. He is NOT worked hard, actually he has a fairly easy life at this time. He is in a stall/paddock with turnout at least 4 days a week. He can go weeks between swelling and then it will be daily for a week at a time.
I don't know if it is an injury or just stocking up.
My vet could find no injury and we x-rayed his hock and it looks good.
My question is, should I have him on a supplement for tendons? A joint supplement?
When he has swelling I hose it for 5 minutes or so and then put Sore No More clay on it, which seems to helps. Also some of the time the swelling will go down with light exercise.

Thank you,
Patty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO