Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding the horse with laminitis

My 10 year old gelding has been diagnosed with laminitis. His insulin levels came back as high. He is a 1/2 Saddlebred 1/2 Arabian standing 16.3 in good condition and not over weight. He had surgery to remove a tumor from his leg above the knee ( non maligant)followed by 2 week of antibiotics. That is when he came up sore footed. I now have him on grass hay with no grain, only his vitamins and hoof supplement. I did have him on Horseshine and spirulina tablets to help his seasonal skin allergies but I have stopped those and keep his itchy places dosed with aloe cream. Do you have any suggestions as to what might help him recover. ( My farrier will be putting shoes with heavy pads on in several days ) I have read about Quiessence. Is that an option? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Where are you from? New Mexico

How did you locate this forum? I have been using you site for some time and have asked questions for several years

Re: Feeding the horse with laminitis

Hello Lynn,

I am so sorry to hear about your horse and I hope that he is improving.

It doesn't sound like insulin resistance caused his laminitis. Instead, it sounds like it was a result of the surgery, along with the antibiotics. Surgery causes physical and mental stress, which results in cortisol (stress hormone) production. Whenever cortisol is elevated, insulin becomes elevated, and that leads to laminitis.

Second, antibiotics kill off the bad bacteria but they also destroy the beneficial bacteria living in the hindgut. When these bacteria die, they release endotoxins, which can enter the bloodstream and lead to laminitis. So, a potent (colony forming units in the Billions) probiotic is very important during and after a course of antibiotics.

I don't think Quiessence is useful here since it is designed for insulin resistance and I don't believe (from what you've told me) that IR is the issue.

Keep him on grass hay -- all that he wants so he doesn't ever run out. Keep up the vitamins and minerals and hoof supplement. And go back to feeding flaxseed meal --- I prefer Nutra Flax because it is pure flax without any added oats (Omega Horseshine has oats added).

Depending on how he is doing, he may benefit from additional antioxidants such as PreOx. And I recommend giving him Coenzyme Q10 -- available as a human supplement -- give him 200 mg per day if he is already recovered and more -- up to 50 mg per 100 lbs of body weight -- as a treatment dose. This is a potent antioxidant that will reduce inflammation and promote healing.

I discuss laminitis at length in my book in Chapter 11 because it is not only due to insulin resistance -- they are many, many possible causes of this disorder.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lynn
My 10 year old gelding has been diagnosed with laminitis. His insulin levels came back as high. He is a 1/2 Saddlebred 1/2 Arabian standing 16.3 in good condition and not over weight. He had surgery to remove a tumor from his leg above the knee ( non maligant)followed by 2 week of antibiotics. That is when he came up sore footed. I now have him on grass hay with no grain, only his vitamins and hoof supplement. I did have him on Horseshine and spirulina tablets to help his seasonal skin allergies but I have stopped those and keep his itchy places dosed with aloe cream. Do you have any suggestions as to what might help him recover. ( My farrier will be putting shoes with heavy pads on in several days ) I have read about Quiessence. Is that an option? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

My horse got shoes ( reverse shoes )put on 5 days ago. He was sore footed after the shoes but seems to be moving better today. I talked to my vet and asked if I should have the shoes removed and put him back in boots with a pad. He is coming out tomorrow when he can see how he is doing and go from there.

Your assessment of stress is the way both my vet and I were thinking but his insulin was high so that was why it was diagnosed as IR. He is not a good hauler which added to his stress.I will follow through on your supplement suggestions. Thanks for your help!!

Lynn

Where are you from? New Mexico

How did you locate this forum? I have been here so long - I don't remember how I found you.

Hi Lynn,

I paraphrased your question for my "Question of the Month" on the Forage for Thought newsletter this month (I hope you're signed up to receive it).

Please keep me posted on how things are going.

Another cause of elevated insulin is Equine Cushing's disease. A horse can be "pre-cushingoid," often exhibited by increased urination and thirst, muscle wasting, and increased appetite.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lynn
My horse got shoes ( reverse shoes )put on 5 days ago. He was sore footed after the shoes but seems to be moving better today. I talked to my vet and asked if I should have the shoes removed and put him back in boots with a pad. He is coming out tomorrow when he can see how he is doing and go from there.

Your assessment of stress is the way both my vet and I were thinking but his insulin was high so that was why it was diagnosed as IR. He is not a good hauler which added to his stress.I will follow through on your supplement suggestions. Thanks for your help!!

Lynn

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO