Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HYPP N/H best way to feed?

Hi Dr. Getty,

If your hay is a alfalfa/orchard mix at 2.65% potassium, what would be the best way to feed a mature mare that is ridden with all day turn out, in order to get the potassium level to 1.5% of the total diet? I have a chance to purchase a very nice roan mare, to keep my other QH company also she is a dead broke horse and very calm. I know the person selling her, she has had no problems with her up to this point. I was also thinking we could put her on a diuretic? I have read they do this for them to help flush out the potassium? Thanks Dr Getty hope your doing well!
Della

Where are you from? WI

How did you locate this forum? Have used Dr Getty in the past for consults

Re: HYPP N/H best way to feed?

Hello Della,

Frankly, alfalfa is just too high in potassium to be considered for an HYPP horse. The best approach is fresh pasture, since it contains mostly water but this time of year, that is a problem. I recommend soaking the hay to dissolve out potassium (it will solubilize other minerals as well, unfortunately, so a supplement without potassium is important). And then have the soaked hay analyzed after it has dried.

Diuretics can be used to remove potassium but they are potentially damaging to the overall water balance and kidney function so should only be used under medical supervision.

So, analyze, analyze and analyze -- that is the best way to be certain that the diet has no more than 1.5% potassium. And keep stress levels down to prevent any attacks.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Della
Hi Dr. Getty,

If your hay is a alfalfa/orchard mix at 2.65% potassium, what would be the best way to feed a mature mare that is ridden with all day turn out, in order to get the potassium level to 1.5% of the total diet? I have a chance to purchase a very nice roan mare, to keep my other QH company also she is a dead broke horse and very calm. I know the person selling her, she has had no problems with her up to this point. I was also thinking we could put her on a diuretic? I have read they do this for them to help flush out the potassium? Thanks Dr Getty hope your doing well!
Della

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO