Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Grass growth and sugar content

Greetings Billy,

You are correct in cautioning your clients about grasses during these cool nights/sunny days. I can't put my finger on a specific study, but you are likely to find something at www.safergrass.org

But, grass growth slows down during the cold weather because it is not utilizing its stored sugar for the energy needed for growth. Eventually, as the weather remains cold, it goes dormant and stops growing. So to answer your question, growth and sugar development do not occur at the same time.

Keep in mind that the grass does utilize some sugar during the dark hours, just not as much as it does when the temperatures are warmer. So, during a sunny day, it will produce some sugar -- just not as much as usual, since it still has plenty left over from the day before.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Billy Blackman
Hello Dr. Getty,

Here in North Florida we are having great fall weather. But, with the bright sunny days and cool nights, as a farrier, I've been warning my clients with ir/founder/hoof problem horses to be careful with the grazing since sugars are building during the day and not utilized at night for growth.

With that in mind, I was wondering if you know or know of any research indicating whether or not grasses can grow and produce sugar at the same time, or is it an either/or situation.
Thanks.
Billy

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO