Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bran mash and oats along with supplements

Hi Shirley,

You bring up two very important issues.

First, about bran mashes...

The bacteria that live in the hindgut need consistency. That's why, when we change feeds, we do it very slowly, taking a few weeks to completely switch over to a new feed. A bran mash, or any feed for that matter, is new to the hindgut microbial population and introducing it suddenly can trigger colic.

Many people feel that it helps as a laxative. Sure, the manure becomes softer but that is because bran irritates the digestive lining, causing malabsorption and softer manure. It is not a healthy situation. I discuss this at length in my book.

Finally, bran is very high in phosphorus -- has 10 times more P than calcium. Horses require more calcium than phosphorus and too much phosphorus can lead to porous bones and poor muscle contraction/relaxation.

So, these are three reasons to avoid bran mashes. If you want to feed bran, you can use small quantities of a commercially fortified version where calcium has been added. And consistency is key -- every day, not once a week. Just a few months ago, a client lost her horse to colic hours after our consultation when I explained the dangers of weekly bran mashes. It was tragic, indeed.

Next, oats vs alfalfa cubes (or pellets)...

Alfalfa has about the same amount, and in some cases, less sugar and starch than grasses. And compared to oats, it has significantly less. The non-structural carbohydrate level (sugar and starch) of oats is close to 50% whereas alfalfa's NSC level is approximately 12%. So, for the horse that is insulin resistant (metabolic syndrome) due to obesity ("easy keeper") or regional fat deposits, or the horse that is cushingoid or who has PSSM, oats should definitely be avoided and alfalfa can easily take its place.

You mentioned that alfalfa was "rich." Though it is not rich in sugar and starch (as in commonly thought), it is rich in protein. Protein does not make horses "hot" or affect behavior in any way. In fact, many horses do not get enough quality protein. Alfalfa is a legume, and as such, it has a different amino acid profile (building blocks of protein) that when fed with a grass, complement the protein content, creating a quality protein. Horses need enough variety of amino acids (protein quality) in order to maintain health, build body tissues, and maintain the hundreds of proteins that exist throughout their bodies.

Oats, in moderation, can be offered to a fit, young, healthy horse that is not prone toward insulin resistance and is working heavily enough to need the extra calories that oats provide. But, in general, alfalfa cubes (or pellets) are a better choice as a "carrier" for supplements, even for the easy keeper.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Shirley Slotka
Dear Dr. Getty,

My first question concerns bran mash. In your forum, you said that you should avoid weekly bran mashes- that if fed , they must be offered everyday to prevent colic. Why so? The second half of my quirey is about adding a cup of whole oats to my supplements to help them go down. I feed my horse " Barn Bag" and they recommend feeding whole oats along with it. Also, I alway thought that alfalfa cubes were too rich for " easy keepers". Will you discuss this also. Thank you.

Shirley

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? By sending for Quiessence

Hello Shirley -- just FYI -- there was no message included with your last posting.

Dr. Getty

Shirley Slotka

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO