Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeding the horse with laminitis

My horse got shoes ( reverse shoes )put on 5 days ago. He was sore footed after the shoes but seems to be moving better today. I talked to my vet and asked if I should have the shoes removed and put him back in boots with a pad. He is coming out tomorrow when he can see how he is doing and go from there.

Your assessment of stress is the way both my vet and I were thinking but his insulin was high so that was why it was diagnosed as IR. He is not a good hauler which added to his stress.I will follow through on your supplement suggestions. Thanks for your help!!

Lynn

Where are you from? New Mexico

How did you locate this forum? I have been here so long - I don't remember how I found you.

Re: Feeding the horse with laminitis

Hi Lynn,

I paraphrased your question for my "Question of the Month" on the Forage for Thought newsletter this month (I hope you're signed up to receive it).

Please keep me posted on how things are going.

Another cause of elevated insulin is Equine Cushing's disease. A horse can be "pre-cushingoid," often exhibited by increased urination and thirst, muscle wasting, and increased appetite.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lynn
My horse got shoes ( reverse shoes )put on 5 days ago. He was sore footed after the shoes but seems to be moving better today. I talked to my vet and asked if I should have the shoes removed and put him back in boots with a pad. He is coming out tomorrow when he can see how he is doing and go from there.

Your assessment of stress is the way both my vet and I were thinking but his insulin was high so that was why it was diagnosed as IR. He is not a good hauler which added to his stress.I will follow through on your supplement suggestions. Thanks for your help!!

Lynn

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO