Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fat Pony

Hi Dr. Getty, I began boarding a 13.2 hand Welsh pony about six months ago. She was fairly thin with a poor topline. She is now so fat that I had to put herin the dry lot about 6 weeks ago. I am giving her 12 pounds of Fescue hay per day (divided into two feedings in a slow feeder net) and 3/4 pounds of Triple Crown Lite AM and PM. She is very slowly losing weight. She is only lightly ridden. I read in a recent issue of Forage for Thought that horses in a dry lot should have free choice hay, and the slow feeder net was accomplishing that initially, but now she can eat every bite of her 6 pounds of hay by noon. Since she is barely losing weight on 12 lbs of hay a day, which should be the right amount for a 700 pound pony along with the TC Lite, should I offer her more hay? I'm afraid she will eat about twenty or more pounds each day and gain weight.
Thank you for your input,
Kim

Where are you from? Clover, SC

Re: Fat Pony

Hi Kim,

I understand your frustration. Here are a few pointers...

First, TC Lite has too much fat for her and is therefore, too high in calories. In fact, she really shouldn't have any commercial feed except a small amount (about 1 cup), twice a day to use as a carrier for supplementation.

Second, all she needs is grass hay plus supplementation (as I described earlier). If possible, have your hay analyzed by sending a sample to Equi-Analytical Labs -- www.Equi-Analytical.com and order the first test -- Fast Track -- I believe it is only $16 and well worth it. This will tell you the sugar and starch content of the hay. You want the WSC + Starch to be less than 12% (ideally).

Next, she will continue to devour her hay as long as she runs out -- even for a few minutes. When she runs out, she continues to understand that there is a limited supply. But if you give her much more than she could possibly eat, she'll overeat for the first few days and once she sees that the supply is unlimited, her instincts will take over and she'll start to calm down her eating, eat less, and lose weight. I have seen this happen literally hundreds of times with overweight ponies and horses.

Finally, give her a vitamin/mineral supplement such as Glanzen Lite Complete to fill in the gaps and provide omega 3 fatty acids (which will help regulate blood insulin levels) as well as Quiessence (to also lower insulin levels). When insulin is high, her body holds on to fat. Stress of an empty stomach and not being able to graze freely will keep her insulin levels, and hence fat, elevated.

Keep me posted!

Best wishes,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim
Hi Dr. Getty, I began boarding a 13.2 hand Welsh pony about six months ago. She was fairly thin with a poor topline. She is now so fat that I had to put herin the dry lot about 6 weeks ago. I am giving her 12 pounds of Fescue hay per day (divided into two feedings in a slow feeder net) and 3/4 pounds of Triple Crown Lite AM and PM. She is very slowly losing weight. She is only lightly ridden. I read in a recent issue of Forage for Thought that horses in a dry lot should have free choice hay, and the slow feeder net was accomplishing that initially, but now she can eat every bite of her 6 pounds of hay by noon. Since she is barely losing weight on 12 lbs of hay a day, which should be the right amount for a 700 pound pony along with the TC Lite, should I offer her more hay? I'm afraid she will eat about twenty or more pounds each day and gain weight.
Thank you for your input,
Kim

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your reply Dr. Getty.
I have been giving the pony unlimited hay for 12 days now, she is still eating ~22-24 pounds of hay and getting fatter (I weigh the hay before I feed it and what is left at the end of the day). My hay has been tested, and it is high in NSC (NFC is 12.3-13.4, starch is 0.4, and ESC is 4-4.4), but it is what is available. TC Lite is only 3% fat, that's the lowest that I can find, and she does only get about a cup of it (1/2-3/4 lb.). I had already recommended Quiessence to her owner, I'm waiting for her to get it. Is there anything else I can do to get her to eat less hay (I'm using a net with small holes)? I would like her to be on pasture, but that doesn't work, she would explode!
Thanks,
Kim

Hi Kim,

You're right -- the TC Lite is lower in fat (I was thinking of TC Low starch which is 6% fat). But, she really doesn't need the amount you're feeding. She should only have a cup of this feed to serve as a carrier for her supplements. I would go with Quiessence, plus a vitamin/mineral supplement such as Glanzen Lite Complete.

I'm not real clear on the NSC level of your hay. NSC is calculated by adding WSC plus Starch. NFC is always higher than NSC -- it contains pectin, a water soluble fiber, and is not included in the NSC calculation.

So, go ahead and recalculate -- I believe you'll find the numbers to be better than you thought.

Don't lose heart on the free choice feeding -- some horses take more time than others -- as long as she never runs out she will self-regulate. Be sure the hay net is not causing her frustration. And try to add some exercise into the mix -- even a short walk a few times a day will make a difference.

Pasture is not safe, I agree, while the night time temps are cold (below 40) and the days are warmer and sunny. Once the grass goes dormant, she can graze and walking around is good for her to do. In the meantime, try placing her hay in various places throughout her space to encourage movement.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kim
Thank you for your reply Dr. Getty.
I have been giving the pony unlimited hay for 12 days now, she is still eating ~22-24 pounds of hay and getting fatter (I weigh the hay before I feed it and what is left at the end of the day). My hay has been tested, and it is high in NSC (NFC is 12.3-13.4, starch is 0.4, and ESC is 4-4.4), but it is what is available. TC Lite is only 3% fat, that's the lowest that I can find, and she does only get about a cup of it (1/2-3/4 lb.). I had already recommended Quiessence to her owner, I'm waiting for her to get it. Is there anything else I can do to get her to eat less hay (I'm using a net with small holes)? I would like her to be on pasture, but that doesn't work, she would explode!
Thanks,
Kim

Thank you Dr. Getty! I'll let you know how she does.

Glad to help!

Kim
Thank you Dr. Getty! I'll let you know how she does.