Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Heiro for IR Horses

Hi Dr. Getty,

You have always given me good advice so I wanted to see your opinion of Heiro by Equine Medical & Surgical Assoc. www.equinemedsurg.com. A friend recommended it to me but since my horse "Harley " ( earlier post )was diagnosed with IR and founder I have read so much and have gotten very confused. I continue to wait for his grass hay anyalisis and have continued with no grain diet.

Where are you from? New Mexico

How did you locate this forum? I really don't remember - been here a long time.

Re: Heiro for IR Horses

Hi Lynn,

I took a look at this Heiro product and it contains mostly herbs, which may or may not be effective against insulin resistance. But my concern is not with that - it is the very low magnesium content. Insulin resistance is best treated with magnesium -- approximately 5,000 mg per 250 lbs of body weight, along with chromium. This product contains 6360 ppm, which for a one ounce dose, translates into 180 mg. That's not even close the amount needed.

For laminitis, depending on the rest of the diet, I recommend either Laminex along with Nutra Flax (flaxseed meal) or SuPer Antioxidant combined with Quiessence. These can all be found on Dr. Getty's Free Shipping Store.

Perhaps a personal phone visit would be the best way to go -- that way I can go over everything your horse is experiencing, along with his diet, exercise, environment, etc. to customize a plan for his future health.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lynn
Hi Dr. Getty,

You have always given me good advice so I wanted to see your opinion of Heiro by Equine Medical & Surgical Assoc. www.equinemedsurg.com. A friend recommended it to me but since my horse "Harley " ( earlier post )was diagnosed with IR and founder I have read so much and have gotten very confused. I continue to wait for his grass hay anyalisis and have continued with no grain diet.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: Heiro for IR Horses

Hello,

I didn't take a look at Heiro, but I tried to treat my insulin resistance donkey Pumpkin with it and it really worked! Details @ http://www.mspumpkin.com

Bo

Where are you from? Gardnerville, NV

How did you locate this forum? google search