Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding horses BREAD

Recently read on a message board about feeding horses bread for a treat and as a filler, and alot responded they did this. Is this ok? My thinking is as an occassional treat maybe, but not as a filler on a regular practice. But I am always looking for a variety in ok inexpensive treats. So, if so, is any bread (white, wheat, rye, ect..) ok or certain breads to stay away from.
Thanks again Dr Getty for your time and all your great information!

How did you locate this forum? Been reading here forever

Re: Feeding horses BREAD

Hi Jan,

I am reluctant to suggest that bread would be a good treat simply because it is virtually pure starch, and generally very low in fiber, making it devoid of any meaningful nutrition and in high quantities, can be unsafe.

But, once in a while, it would be similar to giving your horse a piece of peppermint candy. A much better choice would be alfalfa cubes -- broken in small pieces. This provides protein that complements the protein found in grass hay, for example. And they are very low in sugar and starch, unlike starchy bread, or a treat made with cereal grains and molasses.

So, bottom line... bread, once in a while, for a horse that can have starch is not going to make a large difference, but it's a poor nutritional choice. Keep in mind, that any situation that calls for a low starch/sugar diet -- overweight, cushingoid, laminitis prone, or metabolic syndrome -- bread is never appropriate.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jan
Recently read on a message board about feeding horses bread for a treat and as a filler, and alot responded they did this. Is this ok? My thinking is as an occassional treat maybe, but not as a filler on a regular practice. But I am always looking for a variety in ok inexpensive treats. So, if so, is any bread (white, wheat, rye, ect..) ok or certain breads to stay away from.
Thanks again Dr Getty for your time and all your great information!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO