Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Poping noise in hind end

I have a 10 year old paint who I show in the 3' hunter division. He is straight behind and I worry some about his stifles. However, if anything they are a little loose and do not get stuck. He has developed this poping noise in his hind end that sounds like it is up high. He does not show any signs of lameness, or muscle soreness. I did up his program this summer and the vet did think his hocks were bothering him and recommended having them injected, which I did in September. It seemed to make him feel stronger behind. He is not on a joint supplement at this time. He gets Triple Crown senior, lots of T&H hay and fish oil. When I asked my vet about the poping noise he didn't seemed concerned, but I can't help but wondering about it. should I ad a joint supplement and which one? I really prefer not to inject joints. Thanks so much, look forward to hearing from you.

Where are you from? Bradenton Fl

How did you locate this forum? My vet mentioned it, he heard from another client.

Re: Poping noise in hind end

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your patience.

I believe a good joint supplement would be worth offering. Since he's not in pain, let's go with something that contains silica to strengthen his ligaments. I recommend Hylasport CTS. Give him two rounded scoops per day.

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Linda
I have a 10 year old paint who I show in the 3' hunter division. He is straight behind and I worry some about his stifles. However, if anything they are a little loose and do not get stuck. He has developed this poping noise in his hind end that sounds like it is up high. He does not show any signs of lameness, or muscle soreness. I did up his program this summer and the vet did think his hocks were bothering him and recommended having them injected, which I did in September. It seemed to make him feel stronger behind. He is not on a joint supplement at this time. He gets Triple Crown senior, lots of T&H hay and fish oil. When I asked my vet about the poping noise he didn't seemed concerned, but I can't help but wondering about it. should I ad a joint supplement and which one? I really prefer not to inject joints. Thanks so much, look forward to hearing from you.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO