Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
c:mg ratio...testy mare

Hello Dr. Getty,

We have a 5-year old mare who is great under saddle, well trained and never mistreated. However, she is (was) hard to catch and once caught would turn here head away and lean away from you, almost as if she couldn't stand anywhere near you. Once released, she couldn't wait to get away, sometimes bolting.

Somewhere during my nutrition courses I read where there is nothing more unhappy than a magnesium deficient mare. The article said you could either have a blood test done or simply give the mare extra magnesium and see if it works.

It worked great! Now she is the first to the barn seems to want to be around you, and hangs around once released, so I guess she was lacking.

A customer of mine had a similar mare. More mg didn't help that mare. I think because the problem was behavioral since the mare had a questionable history.

Our mare was getting her mg requirements daily because I have my hay tested and balance it. Also the 2:1 c:mg ration was right on.

I currently add 3g of mg daily to her diet.

My question is: since the c:mg ratio is now off because of the added mg, should more calcium be added to bring the ratio back in line since this might be a long-term solution to her problem.

Thank you.

Where are you from? North Florida

Re: c:mg ratio...testy mare

Hi Billy,

Most horses do not get enough magnesium, producing borderline deficiencies that create behavioral issues. I'm delighted to hear how well your mare is doing now that she is no longer deficient in this very important mineral.

The calcium content should always exceed magnesium, but it doesn't need to be 2:1 Ca to Mg. You can safely feed as much magnesium as calcium (a 1:1 ratio).

If by adding 3 g of Mg per day, the calcium level in diet still exceeds magnesium's, then you're ok. (Sounds like your hay is very high in Mg -- usually grass hay has closer to a 3:1 Ca to Mg ratio).

I hope this answers your question. If you need to add more calcium to the diet, alfalfa is a good choice, rather than adding a mineral supplement.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Billy Blackman
Hello Dr. Getty,

We have a 5-year old mare who is great under saddle, well trained and never mistreated. However, she is (was) hard to catch and once caught would turn here head away and lean away from you, almost as if she couldn't stand anywhere near you. Once released, she couldn't wait to get away, sometimes bolting.

Somewhere during my nutrition courses I read where there is nothing more unhappy than a magnesium deficient mare. The article said you could either have a blood test done or simply give the mare extra magnesium and see if it works.

It worked great! Now she is the first to the barn seems to want to be around you, and hangs around once released, so I guess she was lacking.

A customer of mine had a similar mare. More mg didn't help that mare. I think because the problem was behavioral since the mare had a questionable history.

Our mare was getting her mg requirements daily because I have my hay tested and balance it. Also the 2:1 c:mg ration was right on.

I currently add 3g of mg daily to her diet.

My question is: since the c:mg ratio is now off because of the added mg, should more calcium be added to bring the ratio back in line since this might be a long-term solution to her problem.

Thank you.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO