Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Foal Diet

Hello Amber,

Thank you for your patience.

From what you're feeding, I have a couple of changes to improve the situation.

First, it is best to avoid a starchy feed for growing horses because it has been shown to increase the incidence of osteopathic disorders including epiphysitis. Oats are just too risky, in my opinion. And the 13% complete feed is likely a cereal grain-based feed, as well.

For this little guy, get him on a really good feed. I recommend ADM Alliance Junior Glo or Triple Crown Growth. Both of these are excellent and low in starch and sugar. Feed them according to directions.

The joint supplement may be used for a while longer -- but hopefully you won't need to continue feeding it. But, to get his joints in good shape, remove the starch (oats and sweet feed) from his diet.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Amber
Hi Dr. Getty,

I have a 5 month old hanoverian/Tb colt, and he is currently on 1/2 cup whole oats, 2 1/2 cups of 13% complete feed ( just what the adult horses get nothing special, as the barn owner orders it by the barrels and not by the bags) and a supplement called Myristol as well as 2 TBS of oil and he gets this 2 times daily. Is this a sufficient diet for a weanling or should he be on something else? Let me just add that he had a rough weaning, and has a bloated belly and was wormy when he came to me. He has poor weight, as he weighs 415 pounds as of 2 weeks ago, and is fairly ribby and has poor coat condition. His pasterns/ankles were fluidy and boxy looking, so the vet suggested the Myristol and gave him a panacur power pack for 5 days at 20 cc. Then also administered his 3 way shots.

As for his hay, he is getting a timothy/alfalfa that is 2 weeks overgrown outside and is getting a grass/alfalfa inside at night. He also has daily turnout in a 5 acre pasture with two older mares, as when he arrived here he was lifeless and depressed. But has picked up some since being out with the girls.
He now runs and plays somewhat.

I am just very confused on what and how much he should be getting and of what product.

Thank-you in advance for taking the time to answer this big mess I have.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO