Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lysine/Flax/Soybean meal/DMG-what should I use or should I use all of them?

Hi Amanda,

It really depends on what health issues, is any, your horse has. Most horses get plenty of lysine from their hay. Grass hay is usually adequate for a mature horse and adding some alfalfa will boost the lysine levels even further.

Soybean meal is very high in protein and without having your hay analyzed, it really is not a good idea to add it.

DMG is helpful for respiratory problems or for horses that are exercised heavily. It can be added without concern of overlap with other items in the diet.

But, the main thing I would add, is flaxseed meal. This is appropriate for the vast majority of horses because it provides omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation, boost immune function, regulate hormonal levels, and keep the hooves, skin, and haircoat healthy. Go with a commercial product that has the added calcium needed to correct for flax's high phosphorus content. I like Nutra Flax because it is stabilized against rancidity, has a small amount of calcium added, and it doesn't contain anything else -- no oats, for example, as if found in other products.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Amanda
Hi,
I have been doing a lot of research on Lysine, DMG, protien and have really found that my horses are lacking in this area. I want to add this in their diet, but I am not sure if I should add pure lysine and the DMG or just Lysine or just DMG. And then I was reading that you can get a good source of protien from Flax and Soybean Meal but then I wasn't sure if they should get both or on of the other and then should they still get the Lysine and/or DMG. They are currently on SafeChoice which I really like but it doesn't even amount to what their bodies should get in Lysine and even protien.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
corgibutt@cox.net

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO