Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Glanzen Lite Complete vs. Glanzen Complete

Hello Erika,

Thank you for your very kind words -- I'm delighted to be able to help.

You're correct in feeding Quiessence to help with his fat deposits. But, he can certainly benefit from more calories. Therefore, the Glanzen Complete (three full scoops for a full size horse) would be more appropriate than the Glanzen Lite Complete.

In addition, I would give him Ration Plus. This prebiotic will boost the health of the hindgut microbial population, allowing them to more efficiently digest forage, and hence, provide more calories.

Keep me posted.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Erika
Hello Dr. Getty,

First of all thank you so very much for all of your helpful information and for this forum!

My question is regarding my 13yr old arabian gelding that is IR. I am currently feeding him beet pulp with alfalfa pellets (soaked), Quiessence, and Glanzen Lite Complete along with all the grass hay he wants, with about 2 flakes of alfalfa hay daily.

He is doing well on this diet but he is somewhat of a hard keeper and has the regional fat deposits, which I think are slowly being reduced with this diet.

I am wondering if it would be better to feed him the Glanzen Complete instead of the Glanzen Lite Complete to help maintain his weight? Does the Glanzen Complete have more calories than the Lite version?

Like I said he is not overweight at all, and can tend to look a little ribby. I have struggled with trying to help reduce the regional fat deposits, but I do feel they are very slowly showing signs of reduction.

Thank you again for all of your information here, it is such a great forum!

With much Appreciation,
Erika

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty for your response. I will switch to the Glanzen Complete and also add the Ration Plus.

Thank you again,
Erika

Where are you from? Indiana

How did you locate this forum? book

Hi Erika,

Glad to help. And keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

[qote=Erika]Thank you Dr. Getty for your response. I will switch to the Glanzen Complete and also add the Ration Plus.

Thank you again,
Erika [/quote]

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO