Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pasture grasses

I have 7 fat equines - 32" mini-donkeys, ponies, Arabian and a Percheron. My pastures are terrible ~ right now it is dirt and rocks, last spring covered with clover. It would love to have my pastures turned and seeded - but I do not know what to seed. What do you suggest for north Alabama? I have hard rocky red clay - old cow and cotton fields. Fescue and rye grow good, but they are not good for my horses. Any help would be appreciated! I am hoping for your book on feed your horse like a horse for Christmas - bet the answer is in there!
Thank you!!
Kellie

Where are you from? New Market, AL

How did you locate this forum? Purchased ReitSport and have been interested in your info since.

Re: Pasture grasses

Hi Kellie,

You're correct -- rye and fescue are not the best choices. Rye is a cereal grain and is higher in starch than grass hays and fescue harbours a fungus that is not only harmful to pregnant equines, but can cause weight loss (the wrong kind of weight loss) in all horses.

Can you obtain Bermuda, Teff, or a Bermuda mutation (such as Tifton)?

I would suggest contacting your county extension service to get the best advice for your area.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

kellie
I have 7 fat equines - 32" mini-donkeys, ponies, Arabian and a Percheron. My pastures are terrible ~ right now it is dirt and rocks, last spring covered with clover. It would love to have my pastures turned and seeded - but I do not know what to seed. What do you suggest for north Alabama? I have hard rocky red clay - old cow and cotton fields. Fescue and rye grow good, but they are not good for my horses. Any help would be appreciated! I am hoping for your book on feed your horse like a horse for Christmas - bet the answer is in there!
Thank you!!
Kellie

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I went to my co-op today and of the three - Bermuda, Timothy and Buffalo - they suggest growing Bermuda due to climate and soil conditions. At least one pasture will be plowed and seeded in spring. Thank you!
Is clover not full of sugar? I typically try to kill it due to fungus and drooling horses.

Where are you from? New Market, AL

Hi Kellie,

Good -- Bermuda is a good choice. Clover is not particularly high in sugar, but it is higher in protein and can have a fungus that is toxic, depending on the type of clover.

Dr. Getty

Kellie
I went to my co-op today and of the three - Bermuda, Timothy and Buffalo - they suggest growing Bermuda due to climate and soil conditions. At least one pasture will be plowed and seeded in spring. Thank you!
Is clover not full of sugar? I typically try to kill it due to fungus and drooling horses.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO