Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: picking the right vitamin supplement

Hi Penny,

Thank you so much for your patience. I like your idea of changing to Levelor, if you are still having behavioral problems related to her cycles. I have had good results with this supplement. And as far as PreOx vs High Point is concerned, the PreOx offers omega 3 fatty acids, which are very beneficial in reducing inflammation and pain, which can also present during her cycles. In addition, omega 3s are important for joints, immune function, healthy hair, skin, and hooves, as well as hormonal regulation. And PreOx contains more vitamin C, which she needs at her age.

I'm not clear as to why your horse is getting Cimetidine (an antacid) for melanomas. But perhaps it is being used off label. It is generally prescribed for gastric ulcers.

Please keep me posted. And, thank you for commenting about Lucky -- that horse is a miracle and I am beyond delighted to have offered a role in his recovery.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Penny
Hi Dr Getty!
I have a 25 year old 14.2 hand MFT mare with no weight problem. She's fed 7-8 lbs bermuda grass in a.m. & 7-8 lbs orchard grass in p.m.
I also give her Acti-flex for her joint problems. I have been giving her Hilton's mare herbs (she's a ***** w/o some help here)in a.m. with 1/4 lb equine senior to hold the supplements together. At night she gets 1/4 lb equine senior, Source and Strongid C.
Both a.m. & p.m. she gets 800 mg Cimetidine (vet's prescription for her multiple reocurring melanomas)
I was thinking of eliminating the Source and Hilton's mare herbs and substituting Levelor for the herbs and either PreOx or HIgh POint for grass diets for Source. What do you think? Do you have another suggestion?
Thanks,
Penny
PS THanks for helping with my friend Carolyn's mustang, Lucky.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO