Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: calcium to phosphorus ratio

Hi Ali,

I was glad to help.

Dr. Getty

Ali
Dr. Getty,

Thank you, I won't be adding phosphorus.

Ali

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty,

Why do you say that the calcium in beet pulp is not very well absorbed?

Thanks
Lisa

How did you locate this forum? online

Hi Lisa,

Beet pulp is very high in a substance called oxalates. Oxalates bind calcium and the small intestinal digestive enzymes are not capable of breaking the bonds to free calcium for absorption. In the hindgut, however, the bacteria can produce digestive enzymes that free calcium from oxalate's bonds. But, calcium is very poorly absorbed from the large colon (most of it is absorbed in the early foregut -- the first part of the small intestine called the duodenum).

So all in all, most of the calcium from beet pulp leaves the body unabsorbed -- in the manure.

Happy New Year!

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lisa
Dr. Getty,

Why do you say that the calcium in beet pulp is not very well absorbed?

Thanks
Lisa

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO