Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Self Regulating - Hay

Hello Kellie! What a wonderful update! Yes, not only do horses self-regulate with a little (or sometimes more than a litte) patience. But their behavior also changes for the better, becoming more calm, easier to work with and train, better under saddle, and not always looking for something to eat. Their health improves dramatically on the inside, too -- so it's not just weight loss -- but also prevention of colic, laminitis, and ulcers (many horses have ulcers and their owners don't even know it!).

You are doing a fabulous job -- keep up the excellent work!

Happy New Year!

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Kellie
UPDATE: Weight still slowly coming off!! The horses are definitely relaxing more with mid-morning naps flat out in the pasture and playing in the afternoons. They actually get sticks and try to move each other! Will keep you updated unless I have to sell my computer to buy MORE hay! the 1200lb rounds should last longer...

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO