Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Quiessence

Hello Meghan,

Yes, it certainly sounds like he has a borderline magnesium deficiency.

Since he is getting B vitamins from the Glanzen Complete, go ahead and give him Quiessence. Since I don't know the amount of magnesium in your hay, I recommend giving him 2 scoops per day, divided between meals to provide an additional 10 grams of magnesium.

Draft horses are genetically predisposed to insulin resistance, so the chromium in the Quiessence will also be helpful. And alfalfa pellets are a good idea because alfalfa is a legume and will complement the amino acid profile of his diet, creating a higher quality protein.

Draft horses can also develop Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (PSSM) -- which is often characterized by tying up. So, if he is not having any muscle problems, go ahead and give him Quiessence.

And lastly, I agree with you about changing his hay. If it is moldy (as indicated by the fact that it is dusty), it can lead to colic. Horses will often avoid moldy hay unless they have nothing else to eat.

Keep me posted.

Happy New Year!

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Meghan
Hi Dr. Getty
I am writing about my spotted draft Nova again. I have taken him off grain and he is now on 4lbs timothy pellets with 3 scoops glanzen complete split into 2 meals a day with grass hay. I am thinking I want to add alfalfa pellets to his diet as well. The hay where I board is very low quality, very dusty and brown. I am currently looking for my own hay supplier. He is turned out for 12 hours a day but it is winter so no grazing. My question is does he need magnesium? He has become very nervous and jumpy. He is looking at everything as if it will attack him. He is normally a very laid back horse that was hard to spook. He is 4 1/2 years old and weighs 1320lbs. He hold his weight very well. Thank you for your time
Meghan

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty
Happy New Year to you as well!

I recieved the Quiessence the other day. Thank You!

I have another question about Nova. He recently stopped eating his Glanzen Complete. He picks the hay pellets out of it and leaves it at the bottom of his bucket. I have tried water, and oil and nothing gets him to eat it. He will leave the hay pellets behind that are wet.

I was looking at a complete supplement that is pellets called Mega Dose at horseguard.com. Is this a good complete supplement and can he stay on Quiessence on this supplement? I value your opinion and would love any suggestions that you have.

Thank you
Meghan

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? been here many times

Hi Meghan,

I took a look at it and I don't like that it has 3 mg of selenium in one dose. That may be too much if there is selenium from other sources (such as your hay).

I would recommend trying Mega Cell. It is a pellet and you can reduce the amount of Quiessence you are giving my about 1/2 scoop since one dose of Mega Cell contains 3,000 mg of magnesium.

Let me know what you decide.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Meghan
Hi Dr. Getty
Happy New Year to you as well!

I recieved the Quiessence the other day. Thank You!

I have another question about Nova. He recently stopped eating his Glanzen Complete. He picks the hay pellets out of it and leaves it at the bottom of his bucket. I have tried water, and oil and nothing gets him to eat it. He will leave the hay pellets behind that are wet.

I was looking at a complete supplement that is pellets called Mega Dose at horseguard.com. Is this a good complete supplement and can he stay on Quiessence on this supplement? I value your opinion and would love any suggestions that you have.

Thank you
Meghan

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO