Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: King Feed in California

Thanks, their website is King-brand.com then go to product search on left and enter 20/20 you can view the product tag on the 20/20 page. Happy New Year/

Re: King Feed in California

Hi 10Walker,

It really doesn't compare to Glanzen Complete. First, you have to feed 1 to 6 lbs per day, so I'm not sure if the cost comparison is valid. But, more importantly, it only has 120 IU of vitamin E per lb whereas Glanzen Complete has 2500 IU of vitamim E in 6 ounces (by weight). It also has .95 ppm of Selenium, which if you were to feed 6 lbs, let's say, would provide 2.59 mg of selenium. This may be too much if your hay already provides adequate selenium.

It does not contain flax but fish oils, instead, and I rarely recommend fish oils (except for breeding stallions for sperm health).

It also contains garlic, which can induce Heinz Body anemia if not heated. And if heated, the active insect-repelling ingredient is inactivated, so there's no point in feeding it.

It contains a variety of herbs, including yucca which is not appropriate for insulin resistant horses.

It does contain probiotics, which is nice, but the colony forming units are likely not high enough to made a dent in the billions of microbes that live in the hindgut. They don't mention the amount, but probiotics are inexpensive to add unless they add billions (10 to the 9th power) of colony forming units.

There are B vitamins, which are essential for digestive, nervous, skin, hooves, and immune system health, but the quantities are not listed in the analysis, which tells me that they are provided in trace levels.

So, those are some comparisons that shout at me. It is just not very complete and though it would be fine for horses that are on healthy, fresh pasture, it won't fill in the gaps found in a hay-only diet.

Thanks for asking.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

10 walker
Thanks, their website is King-brand.com then go to product search on left and enter 20/20 you can view the product tag on the 20/20 page. Happy New Year/

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO