Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dormant grass

Hi Dr. Getty,
It's mid-winter here in Wisconsin and the grass is dormant. Is it safe to open my gate and allow my horses to "graze" on the dormant grass? I have two easy keepers who are normally on a dry lot with only a few hours of pasture grazing during the summer. I worry, even now, of laminitis. Can I just let them out to pasture for the day now, or should I slowly build up time as I do in the summer? Technically, there really shouldn't be any sugar in the dormant grass, right? So then, no worries??

Where are you from? Wisconsin

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: Dormant grass

Greetings Heather,

Thank you for your patience. If you've been allowing your horses to graze on the dormant grass while you wait for my answer, I can relieve your mind and let you know it was fine.

But, take a close look at any bare grass -- spread the blades apart. If there is any green at the base, it isn't completely dormant. But if you've been getting temperatures below zero like we have (in Colorado), it is likely asleep for the winter!

Since the grass is dormant, it does not build up sugar levels as it is exposed to sunlight, like it does during the warm months. It is always best to proceed slowly, just so you see how your horses do on this pasture. But, by now, you have likely come to the conclusion that it is safe.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Heather
Hi Dr. Getty,
It's mid-winter here in Wisconsin and the grass is dormant. Is it safe to open my gate and allow my horses to "graze" on the dormant grass? I have two easy keepers who are normally on a dry lot with only a few hours of pasture grazing during the summer. I worry, even now, of laminitis. Can I just let them out to pasture for the day now, or should I slowly build up time as I do in the summer? Technically, there really shouldn't be any sugar in the dormant grass, right? So then, no worries??

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your reply. I have been letting them out, but only for several hours at a time. Now I will probably let the gate stay open all day.

Where are you from? Wisconsin

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Hi Heather,

Excellent. Please keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Heather
Thank you for your reply. I have been letting them out, but only for several hours at a time. Now I will probably let the gate stay open all day.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO