Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Raspberry and Chasteberry maximum dosages

Hello Hope,

Before using the marble, which has its risks and may increase inflammation, I would go with a double dose of Levelor, or add one dose of Stability EQ to one dose of Levelor (for additional chasteberry).

But, I also highly recommend adding MMX to her regimen. This is not a typical calming supplement because it combines magnesium with high amounts of thiamin (B1) along with the 7 other B vitamins (which all work together). In my experience, hormonal issues are often not the whole problem -- behavior is dramatically affected by borderline deficiencies in magnesium and B vitamins.

So, my first step would be to add MMX to her diet. Then, you can add Stability EQ. Do one at a time, so you know what's working.

Keep me posted.

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Hope Malkan
I have been giving my lovely and talented, extremely hormonal 6 y/o Levelor for 6 or 7 months. Despite that, the last heat of the season was so bad that I was grounded by my trainer for 3 weeks out of concern for my safety. I have considered the marble, but would like to exhaust supplementation possibilities first. Can I keep her on double doses (the loading dose) of Levelor year round--might it help? Or, can I add more raspberry leaf and chasteberry to a single dose of Levelor to help her balance over the winter? I read a little info saying that there are max dosages to both these supplements, and I'm not sure what they are.

Conversely, is the marble a feasible alternative? I will sell her before I put her on Regumate. Any other suggestions?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO