Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: LubriSyn (hyaluronic acid) & Ulcers

Hello Lisa,

I would expect the opposite to be true -- that is, hyaluronic acid would assist in healing of ulcers, rather than causing them. HA works to help tissues regenerate and if there is a wound (ulceration) in the digestive tract, HA would be beneficial. So to my knowledge, I have not come accross anything to suggest that HA is harmful for horses that are prone toward ulcers.

A few suggestions...

If you are feeding anything starchy -- oats, or sweet feeds, or pelleted feeds made from cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, etc.), they should be discontinued. Starch does cause more acid production in the stomach.

Be sure to always allow your horse to have hay available. An empty stomach is asking for an ulcer since a horse's stomach always produces acid. That's why horse's need to chew -- to produce saliva, a natural antacid. When a horse has all the hay he wants, and he never runs out, he will self-regulate his intake and eat what his body needs. Furthermore, an empty stomach can not only lead to ulcers, but to colic, since the acid destroys the hindgut bacteria.

Stress is another factor, so give your horse turnout as much as possible -- preferably 24/7.

And finally, water -- this time of year, horses will often drink less if the water is icey. So, heat your water to 50 degrees F to optimize water consumption.

These are a few ideas and you may already be doing all or some of them. But, just in case, I thought I'd see if there was another factor that could help.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Hores

Lisa
Do you think that LubriSyn (hyaluronic acid) would change or effect the GI tract or PH balance in the GI tract? I contacted the company and they said it does not, but I'm pretty confident that their answer was biased. LubriSyn is top dressed on feed so it is going into the digestive tract. I have a horse that is prone to ulcers and I'm just wondering if this is not helping the situation. I really like the LubriSyn and have seen good results with it so hate to discontinue it, but don't want to continue at the cost of ulcer issues. Would appreciate any info or feedback you might offer. Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for the feedback and yes, I already do incorporate all of your suggestions and have for a long time.

The reason I suspect the LubriSyn (HA) causing the GI tract problems is because this is the second time this horse has developed problems after being on the LubriSyn about four months, two different times. Isn't hyaluronic acid considered an anti-inflammatory and wouldn't it be similar to NSAID on the GI tract?

Thanks
Lisa

Where are you from? TX

How did you locate this forum? online

Hi Lisa,

True, HA does reduce joint inflammation but it is not a COX enzyme inhibitor, like many NSAIDs. Instead, it reduces inflammation by becoming part of tissues (connective tissue and joint synovial fluid, in the case of joints).

However, if your horse is exhibiting digestive problems after consuming HA, I would suggest discontinuing it. He may be particularly sensitive to it or perhaps some other inactive ingredient in the LubriSyn.

You might try a different joint supplement that contains HA and see if it makes a difference. If it does not bother your horse, then it's not the HA but rather another ingredient in LubriSyn.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Lisa
Thanks for the feedback and yes, I already do incorporate all of your suggestions and have for a long time.

The reason I suspect the LubriSyn (HA) causing the GI tract problems is because this is the second time this horse has developed problems after being on the LubriSyn about four months, two different times. Isn't hyaluronic acid considered an anti-inflammatory and wouldn't it be similar to NSAID on the GI tract?

Thanks
Lisa

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO