Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeding free choice and self regulating

Yes, I hope my experience will help others so you are welcome to use it. I am going to get my other two horses on a 24/7 feed as well.....I love the idea I'll be able increase riding time simply because I'm not preparing and giving 3 meals per day to three horses! Stuffing a big net once a day will be a real time saver. Plus, I won't be waiting for them to finish a meal or get a good start if I want to go for a ride or something. They should always be pretty satisfied... hay wise. Libby seems so much calmer and less food frantic by far. By the way, I cut the holes larger on the first net I orderd and she's eating from it fine. The holes were 1.5" square. Now they are 1.5 x 3 inches. Can't wait to see how my more high strung mare will do.
Thanks again Dr Getty and everyone for all their suggestions!

Where are you from? Nevada

Hi Judy,

Excellent suggestion and it is delightful to read how well your horses are doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

judy
Hi Alice,

I would also recommend a slow feeder such as the freedom feeder,i have been using them for about 8 months now and love them,i have three horses and they didnt do good with the free feeding with out the nets,i can now load up the nets and they have learned that they can come and go as they please and the hay is always there,i put in a normal days amount and it takes them 24 hrs to finish and some times they still have hay left over.They also prefer the hay in the nets instead of the hay on the ground.Hope you will try one, you and your horses will love them
I ordered mine from www.forevernaturalequine.com

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Alice,

Frustrating can backfire on you since it causes stress and that leads to a hormonal response that can induce laminitis. So, I recommend taking it very, very slowly, allowing her to have grass hay free choice, along with it in the net (or whichever slow feeder you choose). I would also contact the manufacturer and talk to them about the problems you're experiencing -- they will likely offer you some suggestions on how to mount it and make it easier for your horse to use.

Please keep me posted.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Alice
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Dr. G she is getting VERY frustrated with the nibble net and has learned to bite and flip it to get bits of hay to drop on the floor (even though she's on rubber mats that's not exactly what I had hoped for.)That works faster than trying to nibble and pull through the holes. You know when she has finished as the banging stops
I can get Quiessence and start her on that. She gets pretty regular excercise and it will increase more as out weather is starting to cool off.
Judy re: the freedom freeder, How does the top stay closed? That may be better to keep her from flipping the net and I could put quite a bit more in it.....to get her through the night without running out.
Thanks again

Hello Alice,

Yes, I hope so as well -- many folks are concerned that their horses will get too fat or colic with free-choice hay, when in fact, it does the opposite. Horses lose weight because they are no longer producing stress hormones (which cause the body to stay fat). And, colic risk is reduced because an empty stomach causes colic, not the other way around.

And the extra benefit is that you end up with a horse who feels better and therefore, behaves better.

It's a win-win all around!

Thank you!

Dr. Getty [:]
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Alice
Yes, I hope my experience will help others so you are welcome to use it. I am going to get my other two horses on a 24/7 feed as well.....I love the idea I'll be able increase riding time simply because I'm not preparing and giving 3 meals per day to three horses! Stuffing a big net once a day will be a real time saver. Plus, I won't be waiting for them to finish a meal or get a good start if I want to go for a ride or something. They should always be pretty satisfied... hay wise. Libby seems so much calmer and less food frantic by far. By the way, I cut the holes larger on the first net I orderd and she's eating from it fine. The holes were 1.5" square. Now they are 1.5 x 3 inches. Can't wait to see how my more high strung mare will do.
Thanks again Dr Getty and everyone for all their suggestions!

Judy I wanted to thank you as I got a "Freedom Net" for Libby and it is working great. The nice thing about is that it holds enough for a full 24-30 hours. It really cuts down on trips to the barn. As this mare is such an aggressive eater I am glad I went through 3 other nets with progressivly smaller holes. Had I went with the Freedom Net at first....I think she would have had fits! I'm going to get one for my other two but they should be easy to transition over as they are not the pigs that Libby is Thanks again!

Where are you from? Nevada

ALICE

You are welcome! I have loved my Freedom Feeders so much i have become a distributor.

Thank you Dr Getty for helping people understand how inportant it is to free feed horses.

Where are you from? calif

Hi Alice,

As with any slow feeding system, it is important to gradually allow the horse to become adjusted to it. If introduced all at once, it can cause frustration, which can defeat the purpose (leads to cortisol release, which leads to fat storage). So you are to be commended for taking your time with this.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Alice
Judy I wanted to thank you as I got a "Freedom Net" for Libby and it is working great. The nice thing about is that it holds enough for a full 24-30 hours. It really cuts down on trips to the barn. As this mare is such an aggressive eater I am glad I went through 3 other nets with progressivly smaller holes. Had I went with the Freedom Net at first....I think she would have had fits! I'm going to get one for my other two but they should be easy to transition over as they are not the pigs that Libby is Thanks again!

Hi Judy,

Fabulous! I have heard many good things about your product.

Dr. Getty

judy
ALICE

You are welcome! I have loved my Freedom Feeders so much i have become a distributor.

Thank you Dr Getty for helping people understand how inportant it is to free feed horses.

I use three very large hay nets made of cargo netting (each can hold a bale) with holes about 1.5 inches big. My three LOVE them. I am also going to get some smaller ones to use around the track, just to keep them from camping at the larger nets. I LOVE my hay nets and thoroughly recommend them. However, Dr. Getty is right - they should never be empty. Occasionally one of mine will have hay in it they like better and that net will be eaten all up, but the other two will still have hay in them. I have done 24/7 hay since I have owned horses (3 yrs now) and they are so calm and relaxed (except when they choose to play). I waste less hay (doesn't blow away or get stepped all over) Also, I find that the horses maintain their weight, or in the case of my really old guy, actually keep weight ON a little better. I believe when Summit (the old fellow) has to work at eating and s l o w s down, he gets better nutrition and better digestion (same thing). I would never feed my horses any other way now. :o)

Where are you from? New York

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty told me.

YES!!!I know what you mean about them being calmer. I feel guilty I had not thought of this before....especially since we do not have big pastures here (like when I was growing up in the Midwest)and the horses are kept in a dry corral. For the good of the horses, I hope this method really catches on.

My guys also live on a Paddock Paradise (track) system. I have found that this really improves how much they move around. It can be built on very small or really large areas and either way helps the horses to move a whole lot more. Check this web site out for more info...http://successful-natural-horsecare.com/natural-living/paddock-paradise-grazing/

Where are you from? New York

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty told me.

Hi Jane and Alice,

It is so wonderful to have you both discuss the benefits of allowing horses to simply be horses -- they are innately designed to graze all of the time. Everyone has a different set up so it takes some creativity and the Paddock Paradise is an excellent choice. It allows for movement in a relatively small space.

Thank you and keep spreading the concept to others. It is really not at all new -- it's the way horses have lived for millions of years.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Jane Ames
My guys also live on a Paddock Paradise (track) system. I have found that this really improves how much they move around. It can be built on very small or really large areas and either way helps the horses to move a whole lot more. Check this web site out for more info...http://successful-natural-horsecare.com/natural-living/paddock-paradise-grazing/

I use the Nibble Net for my two very easy-keeper Peruvian Horses, and I love it. I use them in my horses' stalls, and in their sandlot turnouts. I have 4 of the Standard size, with 1.5 inch holes, but I found this Standard size to be too small to hold our enormous California hay flakes. The flakes are very big (the bales weigh over 100 lbs.) I can only fit two flakes in the Standard Nibble Net. So, I ordered 4 of the XL with 1.5 inch holes. You might want to purchase the XL size, with larger holes. This way you can fill it with enough hay, so your horse doesn't run out, especially during the night, and he might not become as frustrated with larger holes to pull the hay through.

Once I receive the XL sizes, I will keep the Standard size for use in my trailer, and around my property for them to "graze" on.

Where are you from? Agua Dulce, CA (Southern California)

How did you locate this forum? I bought your book, then went to your site

Hi Diana,

Thank you for the advice.

I have seen some problems with a loose shoe getting caught in hay nets so I like to recommend a different slow feeder design called Work 4 Feeder -- www.work4feeder.com.

But, as with any slow feeder, it is very important to allow the horse to become comfortable with it. Frustration can cause a hormonal response which actually keeps the horse overweight and could induce laminitis.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Diana Reed
I use the Nibble Net for my two very easy-keeper Peruvian Horses, and I love it. I use them in my horses' stalls, and in their sandlot turnouts. I have 4 of the Standard size, with 1.5 inch holes, but I found this Standard size to be too small to hold our enormous California hay flakes. The flakes are very big (the bales weigh over 100 lbs.) I can only fit two flakes in the Standard Nibble Net. So, I ordered 4 of the XL with 1.5 inch holes. You might want to purchase the XL size, with larger holes. This way you can fill it with enough hay, so your horse doesn't run out, especially during the night, and he might not become as frustrated with larger holes to pull the hay through.

Once I receive the XL sizes, I will keep the Standard size for use in my trailer, and around my property for them to "graze" on.