Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SmartControl IR

Hi Dr. Getty,
I am wondering if I could get your thoughts on the following product as an aid in weight loss?
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=7885&cm_vc=Search#fulldetail

I currently have my gelding on Quiessence, but I never really noticed a difference in his slightly cresty neck. He has been tested twice for IR and both times the results came back within the normal range. However, he does have fat pads behind his shoulders and he could stand to lose about 75 pounds. The winter here is not ideal for a lot of work (no indoor), so I've only been riding him about once a week...not enough to help him lose the weight. He has grass hay 24/7 and self regulates. I feel I need to do something, but I'm limited until we have more daylight and better riding conditions.

Where are you from? Wisconsin

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: SmartControl IR

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your patience -- I just returned from the Equine Affaire in California.

The SmartControl IR appears to be a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement that has added ingredients to help with insulin resistance. I do not see any problem with it, except to make you aware that you would have overlaps if you are already feeding another vitamin/mineral supplement or if you are feeding a commercially fortified feed at recommended levels (which I don't recommend you do since your horse doesn't need those extra calories).

One dose only has 4400 mg of magnesium, which is far less than I recommend for the IR horse. I like to feed one scoop of Quiessence per 250 lbs of body weight to help lower circulating insulin levels. So perhaps you weren't feeding enough?

Also, be sure that there are no other sources of sugar and starch such as oats, corn, barley, or feeds made with these ingredients. Sweet treats such as carrots and apples should also be avoided. And finally, have your hay analyzed, if feasible, to make sure the WSC + Starch (equals NSC) is less than 12%.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO