Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vitamin/Mineral supplement

Hi Jen,

Thank you for your patience. I've been at the Equine Affaire in CA.

I assume by "grain" you are referring to a commercially fortified feed. And to get all the vitamins and minerals that are in the feed, you would have to feed it according to directions (which is often far too much for many horses).

I would go with High Point for grass diets, along with Nutra Flax (for omega 3 fatty acids). High Point is a very nice vitamin/mineral supplement that will fill in the gaps that exist in hay. Omega 3 fatty acids from flaxseed meal are beneficial for insulin resistance (which is always indicated with overweight horses).

Be sure to give her all the grass hay she wants, allowing her to self-regulate her intake. Then, and only then, will she lose weight. An empty stomach produces a hormonal response that tells her body to store fat. It's a good idea, however, to have your hay analyzed to make sure the sugar and starch content is not above 12%. Equi-Analytical labs is a reliable source to send a sample.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Jen
My 10-year old QH mare is a very easy-keeper and I'd like to eliminate grain (currently getting 1 cup 2x daily) from her diet. She is fed good quality grass hay and is on pasture from May through October (we live in CT). Can you recommend a palatable vit/min supplement to take the place of grain?

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO