Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
willie

Dear Dr. Getty, What a wonderful site you have thank you. Well were do I begin. I have two horses Willie an appolossa and Johnnie a throughbred I showed for years. They are both at home and I have two seperate yards with own runins but open during the day so they can be together. Willie is 14 and came down with COPD it started with a bad patch of hay. This winter I steam his hay, I built the steamer myself, and I have him on msm everyday. He is a ravishing eater like he feels he can't get enough huge mouthfuls of hay and I give him a handful of grain twice a day with his powder wet down. It has been difficult I would like very much to prepare their hay together, I suppose it will be easier in the spring then I will soak the hay, you see Willie steals Johnnie's food. I am thinking of getting one of those 24/7 hay nets that I could get close to 40lbs of hay in for him and see how it goes more freedom eating. This copd is distressing and what a great trail horse very brave. Well that is the tip of the Iceburg thank you for your time, and looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerly,Noel Desiato

Where are you from? ct

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: willie

Hello Noel,

Thank you for writing. The best way to get your two horses to eat calmly together, without trying to steal each other's hay, is to feed it free choice, providing more than they could possibly eat.

It will take a few days but you will start to see them calm down and eat only what they need. Once they see they have all they want, that they can walk away and the hay is still there, then their insticts will kick in and they will no longer feel anxious.

A slow feeder is a fine idea -- take time to allow your horses to adjust by offering loose hay, free choice, along with the hay nets or other slow feeder.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

noel desiato
Dear Dr. Getty, What a wonderful site you have thank you. Well were do I begin. I have two horses Willie an appolossa and Johnnie a throughbred I showed for years. They are both at home and I have two seperate yards with own runins but open during the day so they can be together. Willie is 14 and came down with COPD it started with a bad patch of hay. This winter I steam his hay, I built the steamer myself, and I have him on msm everyday. He is a ravishing eater like he feels he can't get enough huge mouthfuls of hay and I give him a handful of grain twice a day with his powder wet down. It has been difficult I would like very much to prepare their hay together, I suppose it will be easier in the spring then I will soak the hay, you see Willie steals Johnnie's food. I am thinking of getting one of those 24/7 hay nets that I could get close to 40lbs of hay in for him and see how it goes more freedom eating. This copd is distressing and what a great trail horse very brave. Well that is the tip of the Iceburg thank you for your time, and looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerly,Noel Desiato

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO