Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stabilized ground flax vs Omega Horseshine

Hi Gail,

Omega Horseshine is a essentially flaxseed meal with some added minerals. It also contains oats, which would not be appropriate for a horse that is genetically predisposed to insulin resistance (which include Friesians).

Nutra Flax is just flaxseed meal -- no oats, no minerals (except a small amount of calcium to correct for the high phosphorus content naturally found in flax). I like feeding Nutra Flax because it gives you the flexibility of adding another supplement, or a commercially fortified feed, without the risk of overlaps with minerals, for example.

But, for horses whose forage source is predominantly hay (which is true for most this time of year), a vitamin/mineral supplement is important to fill in the nutritional gaps that exist with hay. A flaxseed meal based supplement such as Glanzen Complete works very nicely for this purpose. It is Nutra Flax plus added nutrients to fill in the losses that occur when fresh grass is cut, dried, and stored to make hay. And it also contains minerals, in their proper proportion.

All the best,

Dr. Getty
Author of Feed Your Horse Like A Horse

Gail Wells-Hess
I have a Friesian gelding who was always itchy until I got him. I put him on Platinum CJ (he has a little arthritis) and that made him a whole new horse. He needed a little for fat to finish off his case of itches. I put him on Omega Horseshine then switched ater the first bag to the stabilized flax you sell. What is the difference between the two products? Raphael's main grew like a weed on Omega Horseshine! I'd like to keep it growing. Is there anything I need to add to your flax product?

Gail, Raphael and two other horses with manes to their knees!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO